Ancroft is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1733 from chapelry in Holy Island Ancient Parish. Prior to 1844 Ancroft was in Durham..
Other places in the parish include: Haggerston and Cheswick.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1742
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1764
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian Church in England, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic.
- Holy Island
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ANCROFT, a township and a parochial chapelry in Berwick district, Northumberland. The township lies in a pleasant vale, 4 miles NW of Scremerston r. sta tion, and 5½ S of Berwick; and has a post office under Berwick. The chapelry comprises also the townships of Cheswick, Haggerston, and Scremerston; lies along the coast; and is traversed by the Northeastern railway. Acres, 10,210; of which 640 are water. Real property, £18,055, of which £3,611 are in mines, quarries, and fisheries. Pop., 2,113. Houses, 378. The property is divided among a few. The chief residences are Cheswick House and Haggerston Castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £131. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is a very old edifice, with a square tower; belonged formerly to Holy Island; and is in good condition. The vicarage of Scremerston is a separate benefice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ANCROFT, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Berwick-upon-Tweed, Islandshire, N. division of Northumberland, 6 miles (S.) of Berwick; containing 1670 inhabitants, of whom 491 are in the township. It includes the villages of Ancroft, Cheswick, Haggerston, Scremerston, and Greenses, the first of which appears, from the numerous foundations of houses that have been discovered in the adjoining fields, to have been formerly of much greater extent than it is at present. The chapelry comprises 9622 acres, mostly arable, and is rich in mineral produce. Limestone is very abundant, and is quarried to a great extent for the supply of the neighbouring districts; freestone and coal are likewise wrought in considerable quantities. The great road from London to Edinburgh passes through. The scenery is finely diversified, and enlivened with some handsome seats, among which is Ladythorn, in the village of Cheswick, occupying an elevated situation, and commanding a view of Holy Island, the Farn Islands, the coast from Bambrough Castle to Berwick, and the Cheviot hills in the distance. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £131; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church, a Norman structure, originally a chapel of ease to Holy Island, but now parochial, was enlarged in 1836, at an expense of £550, raised by subscription: the tower was so constructed that it served as a place of residence for the curate, and afforded him a protection from the Scottish marauders; it was until lately roofless, and an ash-tree, which had its root in the vaulted floor of the first story, spread over its battlements. There is a second incumbency at Scremerston.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Berwick
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 – Bamburgh, Post-1844 – Norham
- Poor Law Union: Berwick
- Hundred: Islandshire
- Province: York