Alwinton with Holystone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Sharperton, Peels, Peals, Netherton South Side, Netherton North Side, Linshiels, Linshields, Linsheeles, Linbriggs, Linbrig, Linbridge, Holystone, Harbottle, Hallystone, Farnham, Fairhaugh, Dueshill, Dues Hill, Clennell, Clennel, Clenel, Burrowden, Burradon, Borrowdon, Borrowden, Biddlestone, Biddleston, and Barrow.
Alternative names: Allenton
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1719
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1762
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Roman Catholic.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALLENTON, or Alwinton, a township and a parish in Rothbury district, Northumberland. The township lies on the Coquet river, at the influx of the rivulet Allen or Alwin, 13 miles NNW of Scots Gap r. station, and 19 WSW of Alnwick. Acres, 1,550. Pop., 87. Houses, 18. There were formerly two annual fairs. The parish contains also the townships of Farnham, Sharperton, Peals, Clennel, Burrowden, Biddlestone, Linbridge, Fair hangh, Netherton-North-Side, and Netherton-South Side. Post Town, Harbottle, under Morpeth. Acres, 31,940. Real property, £16,869. Pop., 899. Houses, 167. The property, together with that of Holystone, is held chiefly by two proprietors. Much of the surface is moor and hill, rising toward the Central Cheviots. The living is a vicarage, united to the p. curacy of Holystone, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £160. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is early English and cruciform, and was restored in 1853. Charities, £28.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ALLENTON, or Allwinton (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland; comprising the townships of Allenton, Biddleston, Borrowdon, Clennell, Fairhaugh, Farnham, Linbriggs, Netherton, North and South Sides, Peals, and Sharperton; and containing 1255 inhabitants, of whom 78 are in the township of Allenton, 19 miles (W. by S.) from Alnwick. The parish is of great extent, stretching from the parish of Rothbury to Scotland, and 20 miles from east to west; and consists almost entirely of porphyritic mountains, presenting very abrupt elevations, covered with short thick grass, valuable for rearing sheep. The river Coquet rises within its limits, and here pursues a winding course through a very narrow valley, the mountains rising in many parts almost perpendicularly from its bed; it is joined by the Alwine, which gives name to the parish. The living is a vicarage not in charge, with the curacy of Hallystone annexed; net income, £130, with a glebe-house lately built; patron, the Duke of Northumberland; impropriators, Thomas Clennell, Esq., and others. The church is an ancient edifice, greatly disfigured by repairs. Here was formerly an hospital belonging to the convent at Hallystone; and on the south side of the Coquet are vestiges of an old structure, called Barrow Peel, to the west of which is Ridlee-Cairn Hill, supposed to have been a burial-place of the ancient Britons. Throughout the district are numerous other remains of the Britons, consisting of encampments, cromlechs, &c.; and at Chew green, near the Scottish border, are the remains of a very extensive Roman station, the next to the north from Bremenium, High Rochester.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Rothbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Rothbury
- Poor Law Union: Rothbury
- Hundred: Coquetdale Ward
- Province: York