Alternative names: Alemouth
Status: Chapelry succeeded by Alnmouth Ecclesiastical Parish after 1877
Church: St John
- Parish registers: 1877; see also Lesbury
- Bishop's Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALNMOUTH, or Alemouth, a seaport village, and a township-chapelry in Lesbury parish, Northumberland. The village stands on a small bay at the mouth of the river Alne, 2 miles E of Bilton r. station, and 5 ESE of Alnwick; has a post office under Alnwick; and is a sub-port to Berwick. Its harbour admits vessels of from 50 to 150 tons; and is used chiefly for coasting trade. A chapel anciently stood adjacent on an eminence at the shore; and a burying-ground connected with it was in use till about the year 1815, but has been washed away by the sea. Horses' bones were once found here, and gave rise to a foolish belief that the neighbouring country was formerly peopled by giants. The chapelry includes the village, and was recently reconstituted. Acres, 579. Pop., 452. Houses, 100. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £100. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church was built in 1860; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Alemouth, Ailmouth, or Alnemouth, a small township and sea-port in the parish of Lesbury, Northumberland; 4 miles south-east of Alnwick. It derives its name from its situation at the mouth of the river Alne. This, though a small place, has some commerce, chiefly in the export of corn, eggs, pork, and wool, and the importation of wood and other merchandise from Holland. In 1825, 10 vessels of from 50 to 150 tons belonged to this port. The trade has, however, greatly declined. It was formerly a dependent manor on the barony of Alnwick. There was anciently a chapel here on an eminence near the sea; and the churchyard was, until about twenty years ago, used as a place of interment; it has now, however, been almost entirely washed away by the sea. Pop., in 1801, 350; in 1831, 415. Houses 99. A. P. £200. Poor rates, in 1837, £188.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alemouth, 1½ m. S. Lesbury. P. 480
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
People from Alnmouth, Northumberland have been found in the following records.
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records
Probate & Court Records
|England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957||1 results|
Alemouth Northumberland Universal British Directory 1791
Alemouth is a small sea-port town, in the county of Northumberland, situate at the mouth of the river Alne, 5 miles East from Alnwick, and 6 miles North from Warkworth. It has no market or fair; notwithstanding large quantities of corn are annually shipped from hence. This was one of the forfeited estates of Henry earl of Northumberland, which Henry IV settled on his brother the duke of Clarence, for the better support of his dignity as lord lieutenant of Ireland. Human bones of an uncommon magnitude have been several times dug up on the shore of the river, near this town, has given rise to a traditional story, that a race of giants formerly resided here, and that these were some of their imperfect remains. In queen Elizabeth’s time, the French took possession of this town, and fortified it; as it was the first port they could safely land their supplies at for the queen mother. It affords a safe harbour for fishing vessels, and abounds with excellent fish. Here is no regular post-office, nor carrier, except by vessels, which go to and from Bell’s and Three Cranes wharfs, London. The principal inhabitants are as follow:
Adams Thomas, Cornfactor
Adams Joseph, Tide Waiter
Annett Thomas, Cornfactor
Annett Thomas, Publican
Bailey Thomas, Deputy Customer
[B]ell Thomas, Cornfactor
Cleugh William, Grocer, &c.
Dixon Thomas, Publican
Flemming Wm. Cornfactor & Publican
Forster Samuel, Cornfactor
Hay William, Cornfactor and Manufacturer of Flour
Jobson John, Cornfactor and Publican
Maddison George, Grocer, &c.
Pearson James, Tide Waiter
Sock Henry, Publican
Young Thomas, Pilot and Publican
The Northumberland Fishing Company is at Beadnal, 12 miles North, - Wood, Esq. Governor.
Trading Vessels belonging to this PORT.
The Friendship, which trade principally coastwise to London
North Sunderland Packet, which trade principally coastwise to London
Two Sisters, which trade principally coastwise to London
Two Brothers, which trade principally coastwise to London
Barbary Grey, General Traders to all parts.
Elizabeth, General Traders to all parts.
Peggy, General Traders to all parts.
Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 2.
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Alnwick
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Alnwick
- Poor Law Union: Alnwick
- Hundred: Bamburgh Ward
- Province: York