Alnham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Unthank, Screnwood, Scrainwood, and Prendwick.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1688
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
- Alwinton with Holystone
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALNHAM, a township and a parish in Rothbury district, Northumberland. The township lies near the source of Alne river, under the southern offsets of the Cheviots, 13 miles W of Alnwick r. station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres, 9,535. Pop., 119. Houses, 22. The parish includes also the townships of Prendwick, Unthank, and Screnwood. Acres, 12,389. Real property, £4,326. Pop., 295. Houses. 47. The property is divided among a few. Much of the surface is moor and mountain. A semicircular ancient camp 300 feet in diameter, with encircling double rampart and deep trench, occurs on a hill about a mile W of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £200. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is cruciform and old. The parsonage was built in the time of Edward III., and restored in 1844, and includes a peel tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Rothbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Rothbury
- Poor Law Union: Rothbury
- Hundred: Coquetdale
- Province: York