Allenheads, Northumberland Family History Guide

Allenheads is a chapelry of Allendale Ecclesiastical Parish in Northumberland.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: None
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Stanhope, Durham
  • Allendale
  • Weardale St John, Durham
  • Heatherycleugh, Durham

Parish History

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ALLENHEADS, a hamlet (formerly a distinct parish) in the parish of Allendale, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 17 miles (S. S. W.) from Hexham. The chapel here was built by Col. Beaumont, in 1826, on the site of one erected in 1701 by Sir William Blackett, for the religious duties of the miners, who at that time attended prayers every morning at six o’clock; it is now considered a domestic chapel, and near it is a good house for the minister, occupied by the incumbent of St. Peter’s, described in the preceding article, who officiates in both chapels. There are several veins of lead-ore in the neighbourhood, which are worked to a considerable extent.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Administration

  • County: Northumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Hexham
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archbishop of York within the Liberty of Hexham and Hexhamshire
  • Diocese: Durham
  • Rural Deanery: 1767-1845 - Newcastle upon Tyne; Post 1845 - Hexham, Post 1845 - Hexham
  • Poor Law Union: Hexham
  • Hundred: Tynedale Ward
  • Province: York