Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
- Family History Links
Allendale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northumberland, created in 1767 from chapelry in Hexham Ancient Parish. Allenheads is a chapelry of Allendale.
Other places in the parish include: Cotton, West Allendale, Studdon, Park, Low Forest, Keenty, Keenly, Keenley, High Forest, Catton and Broadside, Catton, Broadside with Forest, Broadside, Allendale Town, and Allendale Common.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St Cuthbert
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1741
- Wesleyan Methodist
- Primitive Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALLENDALE, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Hexham, Northumberland. The town stands on the Allen rivulet, and on the Allendale railway, 9 miles SW of Hexham. It has a post office. under Carlisle; and is a polling place. A weekly market is held on Friday; and fairs on the Friday after 12 May, and 29 Oct., and 22 Aug. The parish is cut into eight divisions (some of them called grieveships), Allendale town, Catton, Keenty, Broadside, High Forest, Low Forest, Park, and West Allen; and it contains the townships or villages of West Allendale, Catton, Keenty, Broadside-with-Forest, and Allenheads. Acres, 37,267. Real property, £64,716, of which £27,373 are in mines. Pop., 6,401. Houses, 1,155. Much of the surface is moorish, bleak, hilly, and mountainous. The property is much subdivided. Lead mines are worked to the extent of about 2,500 tons of metal in the year; and there are several smelting-houses, with very extensive flues. Coal also is worked; and some silver and rock crystal are found. Allenheads, at the sources of the Allen, 7 miles S of the town of Allendale, is in the neighbourhood of the lead mines, and has a post office of its own name under Carlisle. An ancient camp occurs at Old Town. The living of Allendale is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £250. Patron, W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The church was built in 1807. The p. curacies of St. Peter, Ninebanks, and West Allen are separate benefices. Values, £120, £150, and £100. Patron of all, W. B. Beaumont, Esq. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a free grammar school. The Allendale railway was authorized in 1865; joins the Newcastle and Carlisle near Hexham; was opened to Langley in 1867, to Catton-road in 1868; and was to be prolonged to Allenheads. The subdistrict of Allendale comprises Allendale parish and Haydon chap elry. Acres, 50,955. Pop., 8,622. Houses, 1,589.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
People from Allendale, Northumberland have been found in the following records.
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records - FamilySearch
Census Records - FamilySearch
Migration Records - FamilySearch
Military Records - FamilySearch
Probate & Court Records - FamilySearch
Allandale Town (Allendale) Northumberland Universal British Directory 1791
Allandale is thirty miles west of Newcastle, ten west of Hexham, and twelve east from Aldstone. – No carriages come directly to this place: Thomas Nevin and Francis Shuld are carriers to and from Newcastle; the rate is 3d. per stone. – The following are its principal inhabitants:
Walton Rev. Mr. Curate
Hutchinson --, Surgeon
Stephenson --, Surgeon
Carr Thomas, Dyer
Dawson Jacob, Victualler
Forster Miss, Milliner and Haberdasher
Green John, (F.) Merchant
Hutchinson Hugh, Grocer, &c.
Robinson Jacob, Grocer
Simpson George, Grocer
Spotswood Mary, Grocer
Wigham William, (F.) Grocer
Wilson Joseph, Victualler
Whitfield Thomas, (F.) Victualler
Ridley-hall, the seat of John Lowes, Esq. is six miles north. – Whitfield-hall, the seat of Mrs Orde, five miles north-west.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Family History Links
- County: Northumberland
- Civil Registration District: Hexham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Hexham
- Poor Law Union: Hexham
- Hundred: Tindale
- Province: York