Thurning is an Ancient Parish partly in Huntingdonshire and partly in Northamptonshire.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
- Luddington with Hemington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
THURNING, a parish in the district of Oundle and counties of Huntingdon and Northampton; 3 miles ESE of Barnwell r. station, and 5 SE of Oundle. Post-town, Oundle. Acres, 1,000. Real property, £1,494. Pop., 214. Houses, 43. The manor belongs to Earl Sandwich. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £181. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is early English. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
THURNING (St. James), a parish, in the union of Oundle, partly in the hundred of Polebrooke, N. division of the county of Northampton, but chiefly in that of Leightonstone, county of Huntingdon, 5 miles (S. E.) from Oundle; containing 161 inhabitants, of whom 124 are in Huntingdonshire. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1001 acres, of which 60 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £11. 4. 2., and in the gift of Emmanuel College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £180, and the glebe comprises 60 acres.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northamptonshire; Huntingdonshire
- Civil Registration District: Oundle
- Probate Court: Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Lincoln and of the Archdeacon in the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon
- Diocese: Pre-1837 - Lincoln, Post-1836 - Ely
- Rural Deanery: Leightonstone
- Poor Law Union: Oundle
- Hundred: Navisford; Leightonstone
- Province: Canterbury