Oxendon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Great Oxendon
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1708
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
- Little Bowden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OXENDON (Great), a village and a parish in the district of Market-Harborough and county of Northampton. The village stands ½ a mile W of the Northampton and Market-Harborough railway, 2¾ miles S of Market-Harborough; and has a station, jointly with Clipstone, on the railway, and a post-office, of the name of Oxendon, under Northampton. The parish comprises 1,620 acres. Real property, £3,173. Pop., 238. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £410. Patron, the Rev. E. Parker. The church is ancient, has an embattled tower, contains an effigies of Lady Gorges, and stands ¼ of a mile from the village. There are a dissenting chapel, and a parochial school. Morton, who wrote the " Natural History of Northamptonshire, " was rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Market Harborough
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Rothwell
Poor Law Union: Market Harborough