Norton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Thrupp, Muscott, and Thorp.
Alternative names: Norton-by-Daventry
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORTON, a village and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands near Watling-street, the Grand Junction canal, and the Northwestern railway, 2¼ miles ENE of Daventry, and 3¼ NNW of Weedon r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Muscott and Thrupp; and its post town is Daventry. Acres, 3, 260. Real property, £5, 717. Pop. in 1851, 579; in 1861, 480. Houses, 108. The decrease of pop.was caused by the demolition of houses and the removal of families. The manor belongs to the representatives of the late B. Botfield, Esq. Norton Hall is the seat of Mrs. Botfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £270. Patrons, the Representatives of the late B. Botfield, Esq. The church is of the15th century, plain but good; consists of nave and aisles, with embattled tower; and has an alabaster monument to Lady Knightley, fourth daughter of Protector Somerset. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a charity school, and charities 26 acres of land and 12 houses. The schoolstands in the centre of the village; and is a neat building, in the pointed style.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Daventry
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Daventry
- Poor Law Union: Daventry
- Hundred: Fawsley
- Province: Canterbury