Newton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Great Newton and Little Newton.
Alternative names: Newton-in-the-Willows
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1660
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWTON, a parish in Kettering district, Northampton; on the river Ise, 2½ miles E of Rushton r. station, and 3¾ N by E of Kettering. Post-town, Kettering. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £1, 534. Pop., 84. Houses, 20. The manor belonged formerly to Pipewell abbey, and belongs now to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £40. Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church was originally the private chapel of the Treshams, whose mansion stood adjacent to it; consists of nave, chancel, and S porch, with tower and spire; was restored in the nave, and enlarged by the addition of the chancel, in 1858; has five beautiful stained glass windows, by Clayton and Bell; and contains an alabaster monument of 1433 to the Treshams.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Kettering
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Higham Ferrers
- Poor Law Union: Kettering
- Hundred: Corby
- Province: Canterbury