Newnham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1552
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWNHAM, a village and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands in a deep valley, surrounded by hills, 2 miles S S E of Daventry, and 3 ½ W by N of Weedon r. station; and has a postal letter-box under Daventry. The parish is traversed by the river Nen, and comprises 1, 940 acres. Real property, £4, 473. Pop., 514. Houses, 115. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. T. Thornton. Newnham Hall is the seat of Miss Hickman. The hills around the village command very fine views. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Badby, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is partly early English, partly of later dates; and has an embattled tower, and an octagonal spire. The basement of the tower has pointed arches; and, on three sides of it, the arches are open. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a slightly endowed Sunday school. The poet Randolph, whom Ben Jonson used to call his son, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Daventry
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Daventry
- Poor Law Union: Daventry
- Hundred: Fawsley
- Province: Canterbury