Newbottle with Charlton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Purston, Charlton, and Astrop.
Alternative names: Newbottle
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWBOTTLE, a village and a parish in Brackley district, Northampton. The village stands 2½ miles E of the river Cherwell at the boundary with Oxford, 2¾ N E of Aynho r. station, and 4 W of Brackley; and has apostal wall-box under Brackley. The parish contains also parts of the hamlets of Astrop, Charlton, and Purston. Acres, 2, 990. Real property, £3, 560. Pop. in 1851, 438; in 1861, 527. Houses, 109. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Tuftons, and belongs now to W.Cartwright, Esq. Charlton Lodge is the seat of S. P. Salisbury, Esq. Anancient camp, called Rainsborough, is on Charlton hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £293. Patron, W. Cartwright, Esq. The church is good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a low W tower; and contains a monument to J. Creswell, Esq., and a Norman font. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Brackley
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Brackley
- Poor Law Union: Brackley
- Hundred: King’s Sutton
- Province: Canterbury