Newborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Borough Fen Common
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1831
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1830
- Thorney Abbey, Cambridgeshire
- Borough Fen
- Crowland, Lincolnshire
- Deeping St James, Lincolnshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWBOROUGH, a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton; adjacent to the boundary with Lincoln and Cambridge, 2 miles E of Peakirk r. station, and 5 NNE of Peterborough. It was formed, in 1823, out of an open fenny common; and it has a post-office under Market-Deeping. Acres, 4, 940. Real property, £12, 109. Pop. in 1851, 698; in 1861, 806. Houses, 150. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam and the Marquis of Exeter. The land has been much improved by draining, and is nowprincipally arable.. A famous farm here, called Decoyfarm, got its name from a prolonged and extensive practice on it of capturing wild fowl. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300. Patron, the Crown. The church was built in 1830; and is a plain white-brick structure, with a small tower. There is a Methodist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Peterborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Peterborough
- Poor Law Union: Peterborough
- Hundred: Nassaborough
- Province: Canterbury