Middleton Cheney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Lower Middleton Cheney, Overthorpe, and Upper Middleton Cheney.
Alternative names: Middleton Chenduit
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MIDDLETON-CHENEY, a village and a parish in the district of Banbury and county of Northampton. The village stands 2 miles E of the river Cherwell at the boundary with Oxfordshire, and 2¾ E by N of Banbury r. station; is divided into two parts, called Lower and Upper; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Banbury, and a recently erected police court and station. The parish comprises 1,780 acres, and is some times called M. Chenduit Real property, £6,380. Pop in 1851,1,330; in 1861,1,250. Houses, 301. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Miss Horton. A battle was fought here, in 1643, between the royalists under the Earl of Northampton, and the parliamentarians. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £423. Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is decorated English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with lofty pinnacled tower and graceful spire; has a porch of fine decorated stone work, with lofty ogee roof; was restored in 1865, at a cost of about £3,000; and contains a well-preserved cinquefoil-headed piscina. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists; national schools, built in 1856; nine alms houses, built and endowed by Miss Horton in 1863-7; and some other charities.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Banbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Brackley
- Poor Law Union: Banbury
- Hundred: King’s Sutton
- Province: Canterbury