Maxey is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Deeping Gate.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1711
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Market Deeping, Lincolnshire
- West Deeping, Lincolnshire
- Deeping St James, Lincolnshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MAXEY, a village and a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton. The village stands near the river Welland at the boundary with Lincoln, and near Erminestreet and the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile N by E of Helpstone r. station, and 1½ SW of Market-Deeping; and is a straggling place. The parish contains also the hamlet of Deeping-Gate; and its Post town is MarketDeeping. Acres, 2,280. Real property, £5,155. Pop., 643. Houses, 135. The property is divided among a few. The chief landowner is the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. A small outlying tract is called Nunton. A moated castle, the seat of the Countess of Richmond, stood at Castle-End; and is now represented by only part of the moat. Lolham Bridges, now consisting of ruins of eleven arches, are supposed to have been built by the Romans, and took Ermine-street over low grounds contiguous to the Welland. Two handsome bridges give communication, across the Welland, to Deeping-St. James and Market-Deeping. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £304. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is ancient, partly Norman, partly of later dates; has a tower; and was restored in 1864. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities about $60.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Peterborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Peterborough
- Poor Law Union: Peterborough
- Hundred: Nassaborough
- Province: Canterbury