Lowick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Luffwick
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1542
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LOWICK, or LUFFWICK, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 2 miles NW by N of Thrapston r. station; and has a post-office, of the name of Lowick, under Thrapston. The parish comprises 2,200 acres. Real property, £2,744. Pop., 427. Houses, 86. The manor, with Drayton House, belongs to W. B. Stopford, Esq. Part of a Roman pavement was found in 1736. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £308. Patron, Mrs. Stopford. The church is later English; has a square tower and an octagonal lantern; and contains fine stained glass windows, brasses of Henry Green and an Earl of Wiltshire, and monuments to Sir Walter de Vere and Sir John Germain. There are an endowed school with £90 a year, and charities £35.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Thrapston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Oundle
- Poor Law Union: Thrapston
- Hundred: Huxloe
- Province: Canterbury