Litchborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Foxley.
Alternative names: Lichborough
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1728
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Protestant Dissenters.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LITCHBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Towcester district, Northampton. The village stands 3 miles S of Weedon r. station, and 5 NW of Towcester; was anciently a fortified town, called Lycanburgh; and was taken by the Saxons in 571. The parish comprises 1,704 acres; and its Post town is Weedon. Real property, £3,482. Pop., 449. Houses, 111. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to W. Blake, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £564. Patron, the Rev. W. A. Taylor. The church is ancient; was repaired in 1842; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with W tower; and contains an altar-tomb to Sir John Needham. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities nearly £170.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Towcester
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Daventry
- Poor Law Union: Towcester
- Hundred: Fawsley
- Province: Canterbury