Kings Sutton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Grestone, Astrop, Walton, and Purston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Adderbury with Milton
- Newbottle with Charlton
- Hinton in the Hedges with Steane
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGS-SUTTON, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Northampton. The village stands near the river Cherwell, the Oxford canal, the Oxford and Wolverhampton railway, and the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3½ miles N by E of Aynho r. station, and 4¾ SSE of Banbury; and has a post office under Banbury. The parish includes also the hamlet of Walton, and parts of the hamlets of Astrop, Charlton, and Purston; and is in the district of Brackley. Acres, 3,850. Real property, £9,782. Pop., 1,145. Houses, 270. The manor belongs to Mrs. Willes. The manor house is occupied byT. Willes, Esq.; and Astrop House is the seat of Sir William Brown, Bart. A mineral spring, called St. Rumbald’s well, was formerly much visited, but has lost its reputation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140. Patron, Mrs. Willes. The church is later English; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and porches; and has a W tower, with lofty crocketted spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £135. The hundred contains twenty-one parishes and part of another. Acres, 48,999. Pop. in 1851, 13,000; in 1861, 13,397. Houses, 3,009.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Kings Sutton but who were married in another parish.
John Carpenter, of Kings Sutton, & Anne Pixly… … … … 17 Feb. 1630 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Brackley
- Probate Court: Pre-1846 – Court of the Peculiar of Banbury, Post-1845 – Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and the Archdeaconry of Oxford
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1846 – None, Post-1845 – Brackley
- Poor Law Union: Brackley
- Hundred: King’s Sutton
- Province: Canterbury