Irthlingborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Artleboro, Artleborough, Irthlingborough All Saints, Irthlingborough St Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Higham Ferrers
- Wellingborough All Hallows
- Little Addington
- Chelveston cum Caldecott
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IRTHLINGBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The village stands near the river Nen, and near Higham-Ferrers r. station, 2 miles N of Higham-Ferrers; is popularly called Artleboro'; consists chiefly of one street, nearly 1¼ mile long; carries on trade in the making of boots and shoes, parchment, and lace; and has a post office under Higham-Ferrers. The parish comprises 3,720 acres. Real property, £8,370. Pop. in 1851, 1,577; in 1861, 1,800. Houses, 407. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Some remains exist of a secular college, founded in the time of Edward III., by Lord Mayor Pyel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £266. Patron, the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is ancient; presents some interesting features; and has a fine octagonal tower, surmounted by a turret. A stone cross, 13 feet high on steps, is near the church. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £87.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wellingborough
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Higham Ferrers
Poor Law Union: Wellingborough