Horton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire. Piddington is a chapelry of Horton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1603
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1708
- Stoke Goldington with Gayhurst, Buckinghamshire
- Ravenstone, Buckinghamshire
- Yardley Hastings
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORTON, a parish in Hardingstone district, Northamptonshire; on an affluent of the river Nen, near the boundary with Bucks, 4½ miles S of Billing-Road r. station, and 6 SE of Northampton. Post town, Piddington, under Northampton. Acres, 2, 790. Real property, £2, 032. Pop., 76. Houses, 15. The manor belonged formerly to the Salusburys, the Parrs, the Lanes, the Montagues, and others; and, with Horton Hall, belongs now to the Rev. Sir Henry J. Gunning, Bart. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Piddington, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £98. Patron, the Rev. Sir H. J. Gunning, Bart. The church is decorated English, and was partly rebuilt, partly restored, in 1862. Montague, the first Earl of Halifax, the friend of Addison, Pope, and other literati, was born at Horton Hall.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Hardingstone
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Preston
- Poor Law Union: Hardingstone
- Hundred: Wymersley
- Province: Canterbury