Hinton in the Hedges with Steane, Northamptonshire Family History Guide

Hinton in the Hedges with Steane is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.

Other places in the parish include: Steane and Stean.

Alternative names: Hinton in the Hedges

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

Hinton in the Hedges with Steane

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706

Steane

  • Parish registers: 1697
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include: Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HINTON-IN-THE-HEDGES, a parish in Brackley district, Northampton; on the Buckinghamshire railway, 2 miles W by N of Brackley r. station. Post town, Brackley. Acres, 2, 070. Real property, £2, 462. Pop., 178. Houses, 39. The manor belongs to W. Cartwright, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Stean, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500. Patron, Earl Spencer. The church is early English; consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle, with low square tower; and contains a remarkable ancient altar tomb, and a very ancient and curiously carved font. There are alms houses with about £38 a year, and a subscriptionschool. Gray, the author of “Memoria Technica,” is said to have been a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Northamptonshire
  • Civil Registration District: Brackley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
  • Diocese: Peterborough
  • Rural Deanery: Brackley
  • Poor Law Union: Brackley
  • Hundred: King’s Sutton
  • Province: Canterbury