Hartwell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northamptonshire, created in 1790 from chapelry in Roade Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1682
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Hanslope, Buckinghamshire
- Grafton Regis
- Salcey and Hartwell Lodges
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARTWELL, a village and a parish in Potterspury district, Northamptonshire. The village stands near the boundary with Bucks, 2 miles SE of Roade r. station, and 7¼ SSE of Northampton; and has a post office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1,850 acres. Real property, £2, 367. Pop., 542. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborongh. Value, £120. Patron, H. Castleman, Esq. The church was built in 1851; is in the Norman style; consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle; and includes a fine Norman arcade, removed from the previous church. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £22.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Potterspury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Preston
- Poor Law Union: Potterspury
- Hundred: Cleley
- Province: Canterbury