Guilsborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Nortoft.
Alternative names: Guilsborough and Nortoft
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist
- West Haddon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GUILSBOROUGH, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Northamptonshire. The village stands near the sources of the Avon and the Nen, 7 miles NE of Crick r. station, and 10 NW by N of Northampton; and has a post office under Northampton. The parish includes also the hamlets of Nortoft and Holywell; and is in Brixworth district. Acres, 3,080. Real property, £2,067. Pop., 996. Houses, 227. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. W. B. Lee, Esq. Guilsborough Hall was formerly the seat of the Belchier family; shows various styles of architecture; and stands conspicuously on an eminence. A Roman camp lies between the sources of the Avon and the Nen; measures about 600 feet by 300; is encompassed by a single fosse and vallum; and bears the name of Borough hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500. Patron, R. Hichens, Esq. The church is early English; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire. The vicarage of Holywell is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel, a free grammar school, with £80 from endowment, and a national school with £60. The hundred contains seventeen parishes, and part of another. Acres, 42,054. Pop., 10,663. Houses, 2,460.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Brixworth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Haddon
Poor Law Union: Brixworth