Gretton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1557
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Great Easton
- Seaton with Thorpe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRETTON, a village and a parish in the district of Uppingham and county of Northampton. The village stands near the river Welland and the boundary with Rutland, 2½ miles ENE of Rockingham r. station, and 4¾ SE by S of Uppingham; and has a post office under Uppingham. The parish comprises 4,450 acres. Real property, £6,633. Pop., 909. Houses, 196. Fully half of the land belongs to the Earl of Winchelsea. Kirby Hall, built by the Hattons in the time of Elizabeth, is a large and beautiful mansion going to ruin. Many Roman and early mediæval coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £268. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church was rebuilt in 1868, and is in the second pointed style. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Uppingham
Probate Court: Pre-1851 - Court of the Peculiar of Gretton, Post-1850 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Pre-1851 - None, Post-1850 - Weldon
Poor Law Union: Uppingham