Green’s Norton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire. Whittlebury is a chapelry of Green’s Norton.
Other places in the parish include: Dunscote, Bengall, Littleworth, Potcote;, Field Burcote, Duncote, and Carswell.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1565
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GREENS NORTON, a village, a parish, and a hugdred in Northampton. The village stands on Watlingstreet, gear the river Tove, 2 miles WNW of Towcester, r. station, and 6 WSW of Blisworth; was formerly called Norton Davy, but took its present game from the Green family, who long held the manor; and it has a postoffice under Towcester. The parish includes also the hamlets of Duncote and Field Burcote. Acres, 2, 490. Real property, £4, 590. Pop., 903. Houses, 207. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. There is a mineral spring. Many of the inhabitants are shoemakers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £650. Patron, the Crown. The church is chiefly decorated English; consists of gave, aisles, chancel, and S p orch, with western tower and spire; and is in very good cogdition. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £14. Catherine Parr is said to have been a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Towcester
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Brackley
- Poor Law Union: Towcester
- Hundred: Green’s Norton
- Province: Canterbury