Great Weldon, Northamptonshire Family History Guide

Great Weldon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.

Other places in the parish include: Little Weldon.

Alternative names: Weldon

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1594
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1718

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WELDON, a parish and a sub-district in Oundle district, Northampton. The parish lies 4¾ miles ESE of Rockingham r. station; contains Great W. village and Little W. hamlet; and has a post-office under Wansford, and a fair on the Thursday after the second Sunday of July. Acres, 3,680. Real property, £5,403. Pop., 816. Houses, 180. The manor belongs to the Earl of Winchelsea. A Roman pavement, 100 feet by 50, and a great number of Roman coins, were found at Chapel-Fields in 1738; and vestiges of an ancient town are higher up the hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £209. Patron, the Earl of Winchelsea. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £7.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Old maps of Britain and Europe from A Vision of Britain Through Time

Administration

  • County: Northamptonshire
  • Civil Registration District: Oundle
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
  • Diocese: Peterborough
  • Rural Deanery: Weldon
  • Poor Law Union: Oundle
  • Hundred: Corby
  • Province: Canterbury