Grafton Regis is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1585
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRAFTON-REGIS, a village and a parish in Potterspury district, Northampton. The village stands on the verge of the county, near the river Tove and the Grand Junction canal, 3½ miles S of Roade r. station, and 4¾ ESE of Towcester; had formerly a weekly market and two fairs; and gives the title of Duke to the Fitzroy family. The parish comprises 1, 510 acres; and its post town is Potterspury, under Stony-Stratford. Real property, £2, 224. Pop., 232. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Duke of Grafton; and it once belonged to the Woodvilles or Widevilles, one of whom, Sir John Woodville, was created, by Henry VI., Baron Rivers, Grafton, and De la Mote and was father of the wife of Edward IV. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Alderton, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £277. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of nave, chancel, N aisle, and chapel, with western tower; was repaired in 1840; and contains an altar-tomb of Sir John Woodville. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Potterspury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Preston
- Poor Law Union: Potterspury
- Hundred: Cleley
- Province: Canterbury