Gayton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Banbury Lane.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GAYTON, a parish in Towcester district, Northampton; on the Grand Junction canal and the Northwestern railway, 2 miles NW of Blisworth r. station, and 4¼ N of Towcester. It includes the hamlet of Banbury-Lane; and its post town is Blisworth, under Northampton. Acres, 1, 711. Real property, £6, 661; of which £2, 794 are in quarries. Pop., 459. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. Limestone and ironstone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £569. Patron, Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is good; has a tower; and contains an altar-tomb of the 16th century to Francis Tanfield, and some other interesting monuments. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, eight alms-houses, without endowment, and poor and church lands with £60.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Towcester
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Brackley
- Poor Law Union: Towcester
- Hundred: Towcester
- Province: Canterbury