Earls Barton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Great Doddington
- Mears Ashby
- Castle Ashby
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARTON-EARLS, a parish and a subdistrict in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The parish lies on the river Nen, adjacent to the Peterborough railway, 1½ mile NE of Castle-Ashby r. station, and 3½ SSW of Wellingborough; and has a post office under Northampton. Acres, 1,760. Real property, £6,251. Pop., 1,557. Houses, 315. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicar age in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £195. Patron, E. Thornton, Esq. The church stands on the sub-structions of an ancient fort; is partly Saxon or nearly Norman, but exhibits other styles; has a curious tower, striped with stone-work, and faced by long and short quoins. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, national and British schools, alms-houses, and other charities £30. The subdistrict comprises nine parishes. Acres, 19,284. Pop., 6,239. Houses, 1,329.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 - Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 - Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Wellingborough
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Rothwell
Poor Law Union: Wellingborough