Croughton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Stoke Lyne, Oxfordshire
- Kings Sutton
- Hardwick-cum-Tusmore, Oxfordshire
- Newbottle with Charlton
- Fritwell, Oxfordshire
- Hinton in the Hedges with Steane
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROUGHTON, a parish in Brackley district, Northampton; contiguous with Bucks, 3½ miles SW of Brackley town a r. station. It has a post office under Brackley. Acres, 2, 620. Real property, £2, 851. Pop., 580. Houses, 122. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £600. Patron, the Rev. J. Lister. The church is Norman; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with low square tower; and is in tolerable condition. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Dr. Friend, the author of “History of Physic,” was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Brackley
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Brackley
- Poor Law Union: Brackley
- Hundred: King’s Sutton
- Province: Canterbury