Cotterstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire. Glapthorn is a chapelry of Cotterstock.
Alternative names: Cotterstock with Glapthorn
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1631
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1701
- Oundle with Ashton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COTTERSTOCK, a parish in Oundle district, Northampton; on the river Nen, adjacent to the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 2 miles N by E of Oundle. Post town, Oundle. Acres, 690. Real property, £1, 445. Pop., 211. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. Cotterstock Hall belonged to Norton, the friend of Dryden; was the place where that poet wrote his “Fables,” and spent the two last summers of his life; and belongs now to the Berkeleys. Tesselated pavements and other Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Glapthorn, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £105. Patron, Viscount Melville. The church was made collegiate in 1339; has stalls and a canopied brass: and is good. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Oundle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Oundle
- Poor Law Union: Oundle
- Hundred: Willybrook
- Province: Canterbury