Clopton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Clapton
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
- Bythorn, Huntingdonshire
- Brington, Huntingdonshire
- Thorpe Achurch with Lilford
- Molesworth, Huntingdonshire
- Winwick, Huntingdonshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLAPTON, a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles E of Thorpe r. station, and 4½ ENE of Thrapston. Post town, Thrapston. Acres, 1, 946. Real property, £2, 432. Pop., 153. Houses, 29. Clapton Hall belonged to the Fonneraus, and passed to the Williamses. Liveden House is the ruin of a Tudor mansion, built by the Treshams. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £154. Patrons, G. and W. G. Shedden, Esqs. The church is neat and good; formerly had a tower, which was destroyed by lightning; and contains monuments of the Dudleys. Charities, £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CLAPTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Thrapston, hundred of Navisford, N. division of the county of Northampton, 5¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Thrapston; containing 119 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the borders of the county of Huntingdon, consists of 1850 acres, and is intersected by the road between Oundle and Huntingdon. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £17. 3. 9., and in the gift of the Shedden family: the tithes have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £295. 16., and there are 46 acres of glebe.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Thrapston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Oundle
- Poor Law Union: Thrapston
- Hundred: Navisford
- Province: Canterbury