Clipston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1667
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist
- East Farndon
- Little Bowden
- Marston Trussel
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIPSTON, a village and a parish in the district of Market-Harborough and county of Northampton. The village stands 1¾ mile W of a station of its own name on the Market-Harborough and Northampton railway, and 4½ SSW of Market-Harborough; has a post-office under Northampton; and is a polling-place. The parish comprises 2, 800 acres. Real property, £5, 395. Pop., 877. Houses, 193. The property is divided among a few. Red ochre is found. The parish is a meet for the Pytchley hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £334. Patron, Christ’s College, Cambridge. The church is early English, and has a steeple. A Baptist chapel was improved in 1862, at a cost of £450. A free grammar school and alms-houses, founded in 1667 by Sir George Buswell, have £381 from endowment; and other charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CLIPSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Market-Harborough, hundred of Rothwell, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Market-Harborough; containing 859 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2900 acres, whereof two-thirds are in pasture or meadow, the remainder being arable land. The country is hilly and undulated; the scenery is that of a rich agricultural district, and is greatly improved by the woodlands of the adjoining parishes of Kelmarsh and Haselbeech. The sub-soil of the hills is formed on the escarpment of the inferior oolite, and the surface soil is soft, sandy, ferruginous, of a brown colour, and good fertile quality, and easily worked. The valleys repose upon the lias formation, intersected with deep ravines of diluvial gravel, from which specimens of almost every rock in England may be collected; their surface soil is a tenacious, sandy, calcareous clay, expensive to work, and generally in old pasture. Grazing occupies the chief attention of the farmer, and tillage is here far behind the general state of that description of culture elsewhere. No good stone has yet been discovered in the parish; the roads are repaired with gravel of an inferior kind, and the expense of digging and carriage for a large extent of road becomes a serious burthen to the inhabitants.
The living is a rectory in three portions, two of which are valued in the king’s books at £11. 12. 8½., and the third at £6; present net income, £600; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Christ’s College, Cambridge. In 1776 an act was obtained for inclosing the parish, till then open field; by which, land exceeding 500 acres was awarded in lieu of tithes, which had been paid in kind. An excellent rectory-house was built in 1841, with funds borrowed from the governors of Queen Anne’s Bounty. The Anabaptists have a place of worship. In 1647 Sir George Buswell, Knt., founded a school and hospital, which he endowed with 186 acres of land, producing £260 per annum, to which an annual dividend of £20 on £688 three per cent. consolidated annuities has been added by other benefactors. In the school, from 20 to 40 boys are instructed; and in the hospital are maintained twelve aged single men or women, who receive from 4s. to 5s. per week, and per year a suit of clothes and an allowance of coal. The head master must be a clergyman of the Church of England, and a graduate of one of the two universities: his salary is £100, with a garden, and apartments in the centre of the building, in the wings of which the almspeople reside; he may take a curacy in the neighbourhood, and is allowed an usher, whose salary is £50. The institution is open to the inhabitants of Clipston, Marston-Trussel, East Farndon, Oxendon, Kelmarsh, and Haselbeech; but the almspeople are usually chosen from this parish, and pupils from the other places seldom attend the school. The confirmation of the appointments to both school and hospital is vested in Lady W. Horton, of Rosliston, in the county of Derby, a descendant of the founder. Adjoining the parish, on the west, is an inship of several houses, called Newbold or Nobald, ecclesiastically united to the parish, but in other respects extra-parochial.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Market Harborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Rothwell
- Poor Law Union: Market Harborough
- Hundred: Rothwell
- Province: Canterbury