Church Brampton, Northamptonshire Family History Guide

Church Brampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.

Other places in the parish include: Chapel Brampton.

Alternative names: Brampton Magna

Parish church: St. Botolph

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1561
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Church Brampton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRAMPTON-CHURCH, or Brampton-Magna, a parish in Brixworth district, Northamptonshire, on an affluent of the river Nen, a short distance W by S of Brampton r. station, and 4 miles NNW of Northampton. Post town, Brampton-Chapel, under Northampton. Acres, 1,100. Real property, £1,727. Pop., 158. Houses, 36. The property is not much divided. Brampton Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £346. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is decorated English, and is in good condition. Charities, £25.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BRAMPTON, CHURCH (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of NewbottleGrove, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Northampton; containing 169 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Northampton to Welford, and bounded by the river Nene on the east, comprises by computation 1125 acres of rich land in equal portions of arable and pasture, interspersed with fox-covers and plantations, and mostly the property of Earl Spencer. Good stone is obtained for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £25. 19. 7., and in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford; net income, £400, arising from 332 acres of land allotted long since in lieu of tithes: there is a glebe-house. The church is partly in the decorated, and partly in the later, style of English architecture, and contains a large circular font; the stairs of the rood-loft and some ancient benches remain: the chancel was repaired in 1844. There are parochial and Sunday schools, supported by Mr. and Mrs. Beasley.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Chapel Brampton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BRAMPTON-CHAPEL, a parish in Brixworth district, Northamptonshire; on an affluent of the river Nen, and on the Northampton and Market-Harborough railway, adjacent to Brampton station, 4½ miles N by W of Northampton. It has a post office under Northampton. Acres, 1,330. Real property, £2,115. Pop., 170. Houses, 38. The church was long ago demolished.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

BRAMPTON, CHAPEL, a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Newbottle-Grove, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Northampton; containing 229 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Nene, and the Northampton and Welford road; and comprises 1250 acres of rich land, in equal portions of arable and pasture, with about 16 acres of wood: the soil is a red-sand loam, and red sandstone is obtained. Earl Spencer is the sole owner. The female population is employed in making pillowlace. In ecclesiastical matters, Chapel-Brampton is annexed to Church-Brampton; and its church has been long demolished. There is a small dissenting place of worship for all denominations; a boys’ school is supported by John Beasley, Esq., and a girls’ school by his lady. One of the fine springs here is particularly good for weak eyes.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Administration

  • County: Northamptonshire
  • Civil Registration District: Brixworth
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
  • Diocese: Peterborough
  • Rural Deanery: Haddon
  • Poor Law Union: Brixworth
  • Hundred: Nobottle Grove
  • Province: Canterbury