Chipping Warden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1579
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1704
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHIPPING-WARDEN, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Cherwell, at the verge of the county, 3¼ miles NE of Cropredy r. station, and 6½ NNE of Banbury; has a post-office under Banbury; and was once a market-town. The parish includes the village; and is in Banbury district. Acres, inclusive of Stoneton, 1, 987. Real property, £5, 369. Pop., 489. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. A Danish camp is at Arbury bank; a rampart, called the Wallow bank, is near the Black ground; and roman coins and other Roman relics have been found there. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £277. Patron, the Right Hon. Lady S. North. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £81.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WARDEN, CHIPPING (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Banbury, hundred of Chipping-Warden, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Banbury; containing 545 inhabitants. The river Cherwell passes through the parish, and the Banbury and Lutterworth road through the village. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £26. 10., and in the patronage of the Rt. Hon. Lady Susan North, with a net income of £277: the tithes have been commuted for £34. The church is a large and handsome structure of different styles of architecture, but chiefly of the 14th century, with a tower of somewhat later date; the open oak seats and other ancient furniture are still preserved. Near the churchyard wall are the base and steps of the old market-cross. William Smart, rector, in 1466 assigned to trustees a certain estate, the rental of which, now amounting to upwards of £80 per annum, is distributed in coal and clothing to the poor. On the west side of the parish are the singular British earthworks called Arberry Banks; and on the south side are the Caedwalls, commonly called the “Black grounds,” a Roman station, mentioned in the Itinerary of Richard of Cirencester.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Banbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Brackley
- Poor Law Union: Banbury
- Hundred: Chipping Warden
- Province: Canterbury