Charwelton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish church: Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1697
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
- Preston Capes
- Priors Marston, Warwickshire
- Woodford cum Membris
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHARWELTON, a parish in Daventry district, Northampton; on the verge of the county, at the head of the river Cherwell, 5 miles SSW of Daventry, and 7 WSW of Weedon r. station. Post town, Daventry, Acres, 2, 332. Real property, £4, 242. Pop., 214. Houses, 53. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, 582. Patron, Sir Knightley, Bart. The church has two brasses of the 15th century, and a sculptured octagonal font.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHARWELTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Daventry; containing 227 inhabitants. This place is partly bounded on the west by a portion of Warwickshire, and comprises by measurement 2258 acres, chiefly rich pasture land, with about 20 acres of wood; it contains excellent gravel, and stone is quarried for agricultural purposes, and for common buildings. The river Cherwell, from which the place took its name, rises in the cellar of a farmhouse in the parish, called Cherwell House. The village is intersected by the road from Daventry to Banbury. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £20. 2. 11.; net income, £582; patron, Sir Charles Knightley, Bart. The church consists of a nave, north and south aisles, and a small side chapel; the arches are in the early English style, and the tower is remarkably well built and proportioned. The font is octagonal, and is a curious piece of workmanship; the church contains some good monuments of brass, and has a handsome one of marble to the memory of the Andrew family, the ancient possessors of the manor-house. The village, now situated at the distance of three-quarters of a mile from the church, is supposed to have been originally adjoining it, which opinion is confirmed by traces of foundations discovered near the church.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Daventry
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Daventry
- Poor Law Union: Daventry
- Hundred: Fawsley
- Province: Canterbury