Chalcombe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Chacombe
Parish church: St. Peter and St. Paul
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1566
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- South Banbury
- Wardington, Oxfordshire
- Middleton Cheney
- Thorpe Mandeville
- Cropredy, Oxfordshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHALCOMBE, or Chacombe, a parish in the district of Banbury and county of Northampton; adjacent to the river Cherwell, near the Oxford and Rugby and the Buckinghamshire railways, 3¾ miles NE of Banbury. It has a post office under Banbury. Acres, 1,694. Real property, £4,213. Pop., 468. Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. A priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Hugh de Chacombe; and given, at the dissolution, to the Foxes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £250. Patron, W. Martin, Esq. The church is chiefly decorated English; has a porch and a tower; and contains a fine Norman font and a brass of 1500. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CHALCOMBE, or Chacombe (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Banbury, hundred of King’s Sutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Banbury; containing 488 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north and west by a portion of Oxfordshire, comprises 1641a. 1r. 8p.; the arable lands are rich, the dairyfarms well managed, and butter is sent in considerable quantities to the London market. The manufacture of lace and silk-stockings, and the weaving of shag, are carried on; but the trade is gradually declining. Freestone of tolerable quality is found, and the quarries have furnished materials for most of the houses in the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £7. 17.; patron, C. Wykeham Martin, Esq.: impropriators, the landowners. The great tithes have been commuted for £199. 16., and the vicarial for £240; the glebe comprises 7¼ acres, with a house, repaired in 1843. The church is a plain structure in the decorated English style, with a square tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Banbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Brackley
- Poor Law Union: Banbury
- Hundred: King’s Sutton
- Province: Canterbury