Castor is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Ailsworth and Ailesworth.
Parish church: St. Keneburgha
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1708
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Stibbington, Huntingdonshire
- Chesterton, Huntingdonshire
- Orton Longueville with St Botolphbridge, Huntingdonshire
- Peterborough St John the Baptist
- Orton Waterville, Huntingdonshire
- Water Newton, Huntingdonshire
- Alwalton, Huntingdonshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CASTOR. a village and a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton. The village stands on Ermine-street, adjacent to the river Nen, and to the Peterborough and Northampton railway, 5 miles W of Peterborough; and has a station on the railway and a post office under Peterborough. It occupies part of the site of the Roman station Durobrivæ; and was known to the Saxons as Castra or Kyneburgceastre. Numerous Roman relics, including a Jupiter Terminalis, pavements, urns, and coins from Trajan to Valens, have been found around it. A nunnery was founded at it in the 7th century, by a daughter of King Penda; and destroyed, in 1010, by the Danes. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ailesworth, and the chapelries of Sutton and Upton. Acres, 7,020. Rated property, £8,519. Pop., 1,323. Houses, 272. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £528. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is Norman, with early English tower and spire; exhibits curiously the features and decorations of the Norman period; and underwent recently a thorough renovation. The vicarages of Sutton and Upton are separate charges. Bishop Madan was rector. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
CASTOR (St. Keneburgha), a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4½ miles (W.) from Peterborough; containing 1313 inhabitants. This village, and the opposite one of Chesterton, occupy the site of the Roman station Durobrivæ, by the Saxons called Dormancester; and a great quantity of coins from Trajan to Valens, fragments of urns, tiles, &c., have been discovered. The Roman Ermin-street commenced here, and, proceeding some distance, branched off into two divisions, the remains of which are still visible; one leading to Stamford, and the other, by Lolham-Bridges, through West Deeping, into Lincolnshire. Lady Keneburgha’s way is supposed to have been a paved way from a fortress on the river Nene, which runs through the parish, to a castle on the hill, where the Roman governor resided. The place was destroyed by the Danes. The parish comprises about 3600 acres, and is considerably diversified in its surface, some parts being flat, and others very much elevated. The Northampton and Peterborough railway passes through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £52. 12. 8½., and held in commendam with the see of Peterborough: there are about 150 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The church, dedicated in 1124 to St. Keneburgha, who founded a nunnery here, is a spacious cruciform edifice, with a beautiful Norman tower of two stages, rising from the intersection, and surmounted by a spire. There are chapels of ease at Sutton and Upton, in the parish; a day school, having a master and mistress, is supported by the Earl Fitzwilliam, and a Sunday school, in the same building, by the bishop. John Landen, an eminent mathematician, was born here in 1719. Some tessellated pavement dug up in the parish is now laid down in the dairy at Milton Hall, the residence of Lord Fitzwilliam.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Northamptonshire
- Civil Registration District: Peterborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Peterborough
- Rural Deanery: Peterborough
- Poor Law Union: Peterborough
- Hundred: Nassaborough
- Province: Canterbury