Brixworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1546
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Church Brampton
- Great Creaton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIXWORTH, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district, in Northamptonshire. The village stands adjacent to the Northampton and Market-Harborough railway, 7 miles N of Northampton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Northampton. It was formerly a market-town, under the Fitz-Simons; and it still has a fair on Whit-Monday. Here are a workhouse, built at a cost of £5,800, and the kennels of the Pitchley hounds. The parish comprises 3,410 acres. Real property, £7,636. Pop., 1,253. Houses, 269. The property is subdivided. Brixworth Hall belonged formerly to the Nicholses; and passed to the Woods. Some of the inhabitants are lace-makers, and some quarriers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church shows fine features of very early Norman, with additions of later character; has a curious staircase leading to the tower; is supposed to have been built on the foundations of a Roman basilica; and was restored in 1865. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £58. The subdistrict contains the parishes of Brixworth, Holcot, Scaldwell, Lamport, Haselbeech, Maidwell, Draughton, Faxton, Old or Wold, Walgrave, and Hannington. Acres, 19,435. Pop., 4,555. Houses, 993.—The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Spratton, containing the parishes of Spratton, Ravensthorpe, Holdenby, East Haddon, Cold Ashby, Naseby, Thornby, Guilsborough, Cottesbrook, and Great Creaton; and the subdistrict of Moulton, containing the parishes of Moulton, Overstone, Boughton, Pitsford, Brington, Harlestone Church-Brampton, and Chapel-Brampton, and the extra-parochial tract of Althorp. Acres, 59,926. Poorrates in 1866, £14,667. Pop. in 1861, 15,359. Houses, 3,360. Marriages in 1866, 73; births, 474, of which 34 were illegitimate; deaths, 252, of which 97 were at ages under 5 years, and 7 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,055; births, 4,710; deaths, 3,078. The places of worship in 1851 were 30 of the Church of England, with 6,907 sittings; 6 of Independents, with 1,250 s.; 10 of Baptists, with 2,180 s.; 7 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,399 s.; and 2 undefined, with 260 s. The schools were 28 public day schools, with 1,573 scholars; 34 private day schools, with 477 s.; and 42 Sunday schools, with 2,345 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Brixworth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Rothwell
Poor Law Union: Brixworth