Brigstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire. Stanion is a chapelry of Brigstock.
Alternative names: Brigstock with Stanion
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1641
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.
- Grafton Underwood
- Aldwincle St Peter
- Great Weldon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRIGSTOCK, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, near Rockingham forest, 6 miles NNW of Thrapston r. station, and 7½ NE of Kettering. It has a post office under Thrapston, and fairs on 25 April, 4 Sept., and 22 Nov.; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 5,900 acres. Real property, £8,114. Pop., 1,159. Houses, 266. The property is divided among a few. Brigstock Park belonged formerly to the Montagues. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Stanion, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £236. Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church is partially Norman, and good; and there are Independent and Primitive Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £65.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Thrapston
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Peterborough (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Weldon
Poor Law Union: Thrapston