Braunston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Little Braunston.
Alternative names: Brandestone
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1707
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Ashby St Ledgers
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAUNSTON, or Brandestone, two villages and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. Braunston village stands at the junction of the Oxford and the Grand Junction canals, 3½ miles NW of Daventry, and 4 SSW of Crick r. station; and has a post office‡ under Rugby. Little Braunston village stands ½ a mile to the E. Braunston parish comprises 3,930 acres. Real property, £8,399. Pop., 1,228. Houses, 283. The property is much subdivided. The Grand Junction canal here passes through a tunnel 1½ mile long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £837. Patron, Jesus' College, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1849. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed national school, and charities £296. Bishop Reynolds was sometime rector.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Daventry
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Daventry
Poor Law Union: Daventry