Blisworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1551
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Easton Neston
- Stoke Bruerne
- Milton Malsor
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLISWORTH, a village and a parish in Towcester district, Northampton. The village stands on the Grand Junction canal, 1 mile SSW of the Northwestern railway, at the junction of the line to Northampton and Peterborough, and 5½ SSW of Northampton; and it has a station, of its own name, at the railway junction, and a post office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1,980 acres. Real property, £4,314. Pop., 1,022. Houses, 199. The property is divided among a few. The Blisworth tunnel on the canal, SSE of the village, is 1 mile long. The Blisworth cutting on the railway goes through hard blue limestone; is 2 miles long, with a mean depth of 50 feet; and, though not the largest work of its kind on the line, was the most difficult. Building-stone is quarried; and some iron ore is found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £351. Patron, the Rev. W. Barry. The church is ancient, and of mixed architectural character; has a brass of 1503; and was recently restored. There are a Baptist chapel, a free school, and charities £25.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 - Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 - Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Towcester
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Preston
Poor Law Union: Towcester