Blakesley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Other places in the parish include: Woodend and Foxley.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Green’s Norton
- Weedon Lois
- Cold Higham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BLAKESLEY, a village and a parish in Towcester district, Northampton. The village stands 4½ miles W by N of Towcester r. station, and 6 S of Weedon; and has a post office under Towcester. Pop., 523. Houses, 128. The parish includes also the hamlet of Woodend, and part of the hamlet of Foxley. Acres, 2,840. Real property, £7,318. Pop., 777. Houses, 195. The property is much subdivided. Blakesley Hall belonged anciently to the Knights of St. John; and is now the seat of J. W. Wight, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £176. Patron, J. W. Wight, Esq. The church contains a brass of 1416, and is good. There are two Baptist chapels, a free school for boys, and charities £242.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 – Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 – Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Towcester
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Brackley
Poor Law Union: Towcester
Hundred: Green’s Norton