Barton Seagrave is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1609
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
- Grafton Underwood
- Cranford St John
- Kettering St Peter and St Paul
- Cranford St Andrew
- Burton Latimer
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARTON-SEAGRAVE, a parish in Kettering district, Northampton; on the Leicester and Bedford railway, 2 miles SE of Kettering. It has a post office under Kettering. Acres, 1,782. Real property, £3,666. Pop., 199. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Seagraves, who had a castle on it in the time of Edward II., and one of whom was marshal of England in the time of Edward IV. The principal landowner now is Viscountess Hood. The living is a rectory. in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £492. Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church is ancient but good; has a tower; and contains monuments of the Bridges. Bishop Henchman, born in 1592, and the two Bridges, father and son, the former of whom was the first grower of sainfoin in these parts, while the latter made extensive collections for a history of the county, and died in 1724, were natives.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 - Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 - Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Kettering
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Higham Ferrers
Poor Law Union: Kettering