Badby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BADBY, a village and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands on the ascent of a hill, amid a sandy heath called Badby Down, near the source of the river Nen, 2½ miles SSW of Daventry, and 4¾ W of Weedon r. station. It has a post office under Daventry. The parish comprises 2,370 acres. Real property, £4,455. Pop., 618. Houses, 161. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir Knightly. Hard blue ragstone is quarried. An ancient camp, ten acres in area, with wide deep fosse and very steep ramparts, occurs on Arbury hill, and is supposed to be Roman. The living is a vicarage, united with the curacy of Newnham, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £306. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is fine old structure. There are a free school for girls, a national school, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 - Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 - Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Daventry
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Daventry
Poor Law Union: Daventry