Aynho is an Ancient Parish in the county of Northamptonshire.
Alternative names: Aynhoe
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1706
- Adderbury with Milton
- Kings Sutton
- Newbottle with Charlton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AYNHO, a village and a parish in Brackley district, Northampton. The village stands on the Roman Port way, near the Oxford and Birmingham railway, the Oxford canal, and the river Cherwell, 6 miles SE by S of Banbury; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Banbury. It was once a market-town; and it had anciently an hospital, for the accommodation of travellers, founded by the Fitz-Richards in the time of Henry II., and eventually given to Magdalene college, Oxford. A spring, called the Town well, runs from it to the Cherwell; and traces exist at its E end of the Roman Portway. The parish comprises 2,330 acres. Real property, £4,724. Pop., 595. Houses, 131. The property is not much divided. Aynho Park, adjacent to the village, the seat of W. Cartwright, Esq., is a prominent feature, and contains a good collection of pictures. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500. Patron, W.Cartwright, Esq. The church was restored in 1864. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, a national school, and charities £179. Robert Wild, a poet and satirist, was rector in the time of the Commonwealth, and ejected from it in 1662. Shakerley Marmion, the dramatist, and Sir Ralph Winwood, the statesman, were natives.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 - Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 - Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Brackley
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Brackley
Poor Law Union: Brackley
Hundred: King's Sutton