Abthorpe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Northamptonshire, created in 1737 from Towcester Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Challock, Foscote, and Foxcote.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1583
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1712
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Green's Norton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ABTHORPE, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Towcester, Northampton. The village stands on the river Tove, 3 miles WSW of Towcester, and 8 SW by W of Blisworth r. station; and has a post office under Towcester. The parish includes the hamlet of Foscote. Acres, 1,919. Real property, £2,903. Pop., 541. Houses, 110. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £215. Patron, alternately the Bishop of Lichfield and the Trustees of Leeson's charity. The church is good. Charities, £191. The subdistrict comprises seventeen entire parishes, and parts of two others. Acres, 22,323. Pop., 5,473. Houses, 1,287.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1869 - Google Books
Kelly Post Office Directory of Northamptonshire 1885 - Archive.org
Civil Registration District: Towcester
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Northampton
Rural Deanery: Brackley
Poor Law Union: Towcester