Northamptonshire is bounded on the North by Leicestershire, Rutlandshire, and Lincolnshire; East by Cambridgeshire, Huntingdon, and Bedfordshire; South by Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire; and West by Oxfordshire and Warwickshire. It is nearly 60 miles long, and from 8 to 22 miles broad; and is divided into 19 Hundreds, namely, Chipping-Warden, Clely, Corby, Fawsley, Green’s-Norton, Guilsborough, Hamsfordshoe, Higham-Ferrers, Huxloe, King’s-Sutton, Navisford, Nobottle-Grove, Orlingbury, Polebrook, Rothwell, Spelhoe, Towcester, Willybrook, Wymesley. The principal River is the Nen or Nyme. It has 12 Market-Towns. It contains 1017 square miles, or 650,889 acres. It is in the Province of Canterbury, partly in the Diocese of Peterborough and partly in that of Lincoln; and in the Midland Circuit. Population, 199,228.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
NORTHAMPTON, a municipal and parliamentary borough and market and post town of England, the chief town of Northamptonshire, situated on the Nen, or Nene, 60 miles N .W. from London. It consists of four principal streets meeting at right angles, and various smaller ones branching off from them. The principal streets are wide, commodious, and regular. There were formerly seven parish churches, of which four now remain ; there are, however, three district churches in addition to these. All Saints’ Church is a spacious building, built after the ﬁre of 1675, with a square chancel, a tower, and a dome rising from the centre, and supported on four large columns. St. Giles’s, a large building in the form of a cross, surmounted by a lofty tower, has recently been repaired and restored. St. Peter’s and St. Sepulchre’s are curious specimens of ecclesiastical architecture; the former was erected about the time of the Conquest, and the other by the Knights Templars, in imitation of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre at Jerusalem. Continue reading “Northampton – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870”
Abington, a parish in the hund. of Spelhoe, union and county of Northampton; 1½ mile east-north-east of Northampton. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Northampton and dio. of Peterborough; rated at £20; gross income £200. Patron, in 1835, J. H. Thursby, Esq. The rent of church-lands in this parish amounts to £16. There are two small charities to the poor. Pop., in 1801, 170; in 1831, 155. Houses 22. Acres 1,190. A. P. £2,401. Poor rates, in 1837, £111.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.