Wymondham is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Norfolk.
Other places in the parish include: Downham, Market Street, Towngreen, Wattlefield, Sutton, Suton, and Silfield.
Alternative names: Windham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1615
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1698
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Christians, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Carleton Rode
- Morley St Peter
- Carleton Forehoe
- Forncett St Peter
- Great Melton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WYMONDHAM, or Windham, a town and a parish in Forehoe district, Norfolk. The town stands on the Norwich and Thetford railway, at the junction of the line to Dereham and Wells, 9½ miles WSW of Norwich; grew around a cell to St. Albans abbey, founded in 1107 by W. D'Albini: was devastated by fire in 1615, and by plague in 1631; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts; stands on elevated ground, is irregularly built, and presents a somewhat antique appearance; carries on brewing and the manufacture of paramattas, nets, satins, and crapes; publishes a weekly newspaper; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, a hotel, an interesting old market-cross repaired in 1863, a house of correction for females, a church, 6 dissenting chapels, a free grammar-school, national and British schools, charities £204, a weekly market on Friday, and three annual fairs. The church of the ancient monastic cell became partly parochial in 1249; was eventually denuded of its monastic attachments; underwent alterations and reconstructions in decorated and later English architecture; retains Norman portions of the original structure; was interiorly repaired in 1845; and has an E octagonal tower and steeple, and an unfinished W tower. Pop. of the town in 1851, 2,970; in 1861, 2,152. Houses, 546. The parish is divided into Wattlefield, Sutton, Silfield, Town-Green, Market-Street, and Downham quarters; and comprises 10,613 acres-Real property, £20,267; of which £989 are in railways. Pop. in 1851, 5,177; in 1861, 4,952. Houses, 1,137. Kimberley Hall, Burfield Hall, Stanfield Hall, Cavick House, Wattlefield Hall, and Silfield Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £515. Patron, the Bishop of N. A chapel of ease is in Wattlefield.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Forehoe
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk
Rural Deanery: Hingham
Poor Law Union: Forehoe