The County of Norfolk


Norfolk is bounded, North-East by the German Ocean, South-East and South by Suffolk, and West by Lincolnshire Wash and Cambridgeshire. It is from 60 to 70 miles long, and from 30 to 40 miles broad; and contains 33 Hundreds, namely, Blofield, Brothercross, Clackclose, Clavering, Depwade, Diss, Easham, Erpingham (North), Erpingham ( South), Eyresford, Flepg (East), Flegg (West), Forehoe, Freebridge, Freebridge-Marshland, Gallow, Greenhoe (North), Greenhoe (South), Grinthoe, Guiltcross, Hopping, Henstead, Holt, Humbleyard, Launriitch, Loddon, Mitford, Shropham, Smithdon, Taversham, Tunstead, Walsham, and Wayland. Rivers: the Great Ouse, the Little Ouse, the Bure, the Wensum, the Yare, and the Nar. In this county are 28 Market- Towns. It is in the Pro vince of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Norwich, and in the Norfolk Circuit. Population, 412,664.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Norfolk Towns & Villages

Shelton Norfolk Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870


Shelton, a parish, with a village, in Depwade district, Norfolk; 3¾ miles E by S of Forncett r. station, and 5¼ N by W of Harleston. Post-town, Long Stratton. Acres, 1,292. Real property, £2,260. Pop., 192. Houses, 43. The property is divided chiefly among three. The living is a rectory, united with Hardwick, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £650. Patron, B. Frank, Esq. The church is good; and there is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].